Thursday, December 30, 2010

Have A Drink And Smile

 
Two years ago my father in law started making his own wine. Over the past two years of experimentation and research and hundreds of opinionated wine "connoisseur's" he is starting to find his niche. The brews are made from mid missouri fruits such as blackberries, wild plums, and grapes from a vineyard of a family friend. I have to admit that he is starting to make quite a name for himself in the small community where they live.

This past summer my in laws added on a new garage and a small cellar where he will be able to keep his stock, brew new batches, and my least favorite part....taste testing. For you see taste testing requires many little paper cups filled up with sweet and delicious wine, fresh out of the glass tanks in which they are made. This makes for a fun few hours, but as time passes you start to forget your whereabouts, you start to forget about that 7 a.m. tee time, and if you stick around long enough you start to forget how to put full sentences together. You see what I'm getting at right?

A few weekends ago my wife and I go to visit and I walk in on this 20' long cabinet that use to belong in an old bar in some old small town where old men probably sat around and grumbled about old cows or old cars or old wives. This thing is AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!! It was a purplish color (could have been a topic that the old men grumbled about) that my father in law, with a little help, sanded down a little bit and added the compartments that will hold the wine that he crafts. I thought it needed to look like a piece that has been handed down through generations of italian wine makers, thrown on a cargo ship, and after changing trucks a few dozen times delivered to the new wine cellar. I added a distressed black over the whole piece while letting some of the history show through. I think it turned out really nice and as it gets banged around it will just add to the charm. I won't tell you what he paid for this, but lets just say it changed hands over a cup of genenral store coffee.

I hope to add more pictures as the production and inventory grows, until then have a drink on me.






1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Now, if we could only all just have A DRINK...instead of a bottle!! It turned out great!