Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Made Right Here

I remember first hearing about raw denim a few years ago and how this type of denim was worn day after day after day with no washes and an occasional soak to achieve a look all your own. The way the creases appear behind the knees, the way that certain areas fade before others, an that one little character adding dribble of coffee or bbq sauce that you promptly wiped off but know it's still there. It intrigued me and started a curiosity that I guess will sort of consume you if you let it.

I bought my first pair of raw selvage denim (Baldwin) about 2 years ago. I ashamedly admit that I just started "working" on them a few months ago. You see when you drop that kind of coin on a piece of clothing you want it to stay clean and non faded and non weathered, however this is just the opposite. You want it to be worn, you want it to be comfortable, you want it to be one of a kind. To me this style dates back to the beginning heritage of the iron workers, laborers, farmers, and all the other hard working trades that needed strength and integrity and durability in their wear and their tools. Sadly in this day and age we may not work as hard or demand that kind of durability in our everyday choices of clothing.

As curiosity takes over, you research and dig deeper into this culture and really start to appreciate all things worn and all things that are still handmade and fabricated in this mass produced world we live in today. It's nice to see it's still out there and pride is still taken in the products these tradesman produce. From shirts to belts, denim to boots, the list continues to grow as more tradesman are getting back to the roots of American handmade.

I happened upon this short documentary this morning that shows two guys ( Joe GannonMax Wastler ) whom I believe to be at the forefront of a long list of just really cool people that are bringing the American handmade culture to light. I'm excited to see what they have in store in future episodes. It's really eye opening and inspirational at the same time.

Thanks guys!


No comments: